Sunday, November 20, 2005

Nalbandian Upsets Federer In Masters Cup Finale

The Argentian David Nalbandian got the best of Roger Federer in a five set duel lasting 4 hours 33 minutes, 6-7,6-7, 6-2, 6-1, 7-6. The Swiss superstar had not played a match in the six weeks leading up to the Masters Cup due to a strained right ankle ligament, nor even had much opportunity to practice.

Federer no doubt suffered due to the change in format to best of five sets. After pulling out the first two sets in very close tie breaks (7-4, 13-11), he did not have anything left in the ‘tank.’ Nalbandian was not giving away anything and continued to fight. He cruised through third and fourth sets, frequently employing the drop shot, and the two handed backhand up the line. A listless Federer could not move quickly enough to the balls.

While receiving treatment during the fourth set, Federer reportedly told an ATP trainer, “I have nothing left in my legs.” At one point, ending the fourth set and moving into the fifth, Nalbandian had won ten games in a row!

Down four games to love, and 0-30 on Nalbandian’s serve, Federer found new life, managing to break back and win four games in a row to pull even. Four games later, Federer served for the match at 6-5, but Nalbandian broke back, forcing a tie break. Federer struggled with his first serve, and Nalbandian’s return of second serve proved too much for him. Nalbandian took the tie break 7-3.

David Nalbandian takes home a new Mercedes, $1.4 million, and the biggest win of his career. He also improves his winning record versus Federer to 6-4. He said, regarding Federer: “Every time we play, the match is very close, is very tough. So I don't know what's gonna happen next match. I hope don't play this long, but is gonna be a tough either way. Doesn't matter who's leading in the history.”

Federer ends his incredible win streak in finals at 24; his 35 match win streak; and 44 matches won consecutively on hard courts. He said in a post match interview, “I knew I was putting all those records on the line when I came here. So that it happened is sort of in a way almost normal. It's just a pity now that I was so close..”

Earlier in the week, the world number one had subtly chided those who pulled out the tournament, saying: “I came here not knowing if I can play, and I went through all the therapy just to really show the people also how much this event really means to me. . . I thought I was the worst injured of all. Now that I can play, for me, it means very much to me. It also should show a message how much and how important this tournament means to tennis. For me, this is equaling like a Grand Slam.”

Roger Federer would have taken home more than $1.5 million had he won the tournament. But let’s face it, he doesn’t need the money. What we see here is a player risking his place in history and possibly aggravating an injury for the enjoyment of the fans out of respect for the Masters Cup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home